Part 1: Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cup Cake flour
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Domori 22/24% Dutched Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Fine salt
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- 1 tbsp Red food coloring ( plus a drop for the filling )
- 2 tsp Cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg ( room temperature )
- 3 oz Domori Aristide Cameroon 60% Dark Couverture Chocolate Drops
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- 1 cup Raspberry jam
Part 2: Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz Cream cheese ( room temperature )
- 6 tbsp Unsalted butter ( cubed and at room temperature )
- 1 cup Confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
Part 1: Method - Cupcake
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Sift the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Whisk together the buttermilk, oil, sour cream, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla and egg in another large bowl.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just incorporated. Divide the batter among the cupcake liners. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out with a few moist crumbs, 16 to 18 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the tin and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Microwave the chocolate and coconut oil together in a small microwave-safe bowl until mostly melted, about 1 minute. Stir, then microwave again until completely smooth, about 15 seconds more.
- Use a small sharp knife to cut out and remove a plug from the middle of each cupcake, making sure not to go all the way to the bottom and leaving a 1/4-inch border around the side (eat the plugs). Brush the holes with the melted chocolate and place in the freezer until the chocolate hardens, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the jam, 1 drop of red food coloring and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl until completely smooth. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the jam into each of the chocolate holes; set aside.
Part 2: Method - Cream Cheese Frosting
- Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in the butter until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Scrape into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe on top of the cupcakes so the jam is covered.
Part 3: Finishing Touch
- Poke 2 holes into the frosting on each cupcake using the end of a plastic straw to resemble vampire bites, making sure you hit the cupcake and not the jam-filled hole. Drizzle the remaining jam into the holes to resemble blood.