- 3 large Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup Granulated White Sugar
- 3/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 4 ounces Ghirardelli 70% Extra Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar Finely Chopped. Don't have Ghirardelli? Substitute with a chocolate of your choosing!
- 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, and set aside
- In a double boiler, heat the cream, milk, and chocolate over medium heat. Be sure to constantly whisk this mixture, and do not let the mixture boil. Once the mixture is consistent in fluidity and hot, pour this over the egg & sugar mixture, whisking constantly.
- Once the combined mixtures are consistently fluid, pour back into the double boiler. Keep a temperature of 170°F, and add the vanilla extract.
- Cool in the refrigerator, or by setting the mixture on a bowl of ice, and whick constantly. Once cooled, place the mixture in a freezer, until it has the consistency of whipped cream.
- Once the consistency of whipped cream is reached, transfer the mixture into a plastic container and store in a freezer.
- The ice cream is best consumed the same day it is made. If completely frozen solid, you can place it in the refrigerator for roughly 20 minutes to soften, and it is ready for consumption! Feeling like you need extra? Incorporate your favorite syrups and toppings to make this an unforgettable treat!