- Preheat oven at 375°F.
- Grease insides of ramekins and sprinkle with sugar to coat. Stack two single broken pieces of chocolate in each ramekin. Place on baking sheet for easy handling.
- Melt remaining four oz (2 bars) chocolate with the milk or water.
- Whisk in egg yolks until smooth and glossy.
- Put egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment. Whip at medium-high speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and continue whipping to form soft peaks.
- Whisk 1/3 of the whites into chocolate mixture to lighten and then gently fold into the remaining whites until almost uniform.
- Divide evenly among ramekins, filling to cover chocolate pieces.
- Bake about 12-15 minutes or until tops are puffed and crusty.