Part 1: Cake
- Unsalted butter ( for the pans )
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Ground cinammon
- 1/2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp Ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 15 oz Can of pure pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Grated orange zest
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 Large eggs ( room temperature )
- 1 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
Part 2: Filling
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3/4 qt Heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Dark corn syrup
- 2 tbsp Cold, unsalted butter ( cut into small pieces )
- 8 oz Guittard 46% Semisweet Dark Chocolate Baking Chips ( chopped )
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2 cup Pecans ( toasted and chopped )
Part 3: Glaze
- 6 oz Guittard 70% Bittersweet Dark Chocolate Baking Bar
- 1 tbsp Guittard Organic 22/24% Natural Cocoa Powder (8oz)
- 1 stick Unsalted butter ( cut into small pieces )
- 2 tsp Honey
Part 1: Method - Cake
- Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter two 9-inch-round cake pans; line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine the pumpkin, sugar, orange zest and vanilla in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each one is incorporated.
- With the mixer running, add the vegetable oil in a steady stream. Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Divide the batter between the 2 prepared pans; lightly tap the pans on the counter to distribute the batter.
- Transfer the pans to the oven and bake until the cakes begin pulling away from the pans and the centers spring back when lightly pressed, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool 10 minutes in the pans, then unmold onto the rack and let cool completely.
Part 2: Method - Filling
- Combine the sugar and 1/4 cup water in a large deep saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer and cook, without stirring, until deep amber, about 8 minutes.
- Carefully whisk in the cream and cook, whisking, until smooth. Add the corn syrup and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and cook, whisking occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; whisk in the butter, chocolate, vanilla and salt until smooth. Let cool completely, then fold in the pecans.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm but spreadable, about 1 hour.
Part 3: Method - Glaze
- Combine the chocolate, cocoa powder, butter and honey in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave 1 minute; uncover and whisk until smooth.
- Let cool to room temperature, then spread on the cake, letting the excess drip down the sides.
- Refrigerate until the glaze sets, about 10 minutes.
Part 4: Assembly
- Cut each cake in half horizontally with a serrated knife to make 4 layers.
- Put 1 layer on a platter; spread one-third of the pecan filling on top.
- Layer the remaining cakes and filling on top, ending with cake.
- Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.